Below there is a letter to our parents and students who would voluntarily return to conditioning according to an approved plan by the Athletic Director, Principal Marci Sledge and each Head Coach when they have met certain conditions to prepare for their athletes return.
GCPS produced this great video highlighting the return to conditioning and how we will execute our plan for student-athletes to return starting next week on June 8th.
Discovery High School
June 2020 Conditioning Plan
With the recent occurrence of COVID -19 and concerns for re-opening of high school athletics, GCPS has created a Return to Conditioning Phase 1 Plan for the month of June. The following guidelines are the responsibility of the student-athlete and are for the protection of all athletes, coaches, athletic training and other medical personnel, and affiliated support staff in accordance with current Governor’s Office, Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Georgia High School Association (GHSA) guidelines/policies. GCPS is working closely with local, state, and national health officials to monitor ongoing developments related to the global outbreak of COVID-19. As additional information becomes available, the district will continue to communicate with families and the community. As we return to activity on June 8th, it is important that each athlete understands that there will be some changes to processes and several protocols that must be followed.
Every athlete must:
- Have a physical in Dragonfly dated after 4/1/2019
- Have a parent and student Covid-19 Waiver signed
- Report in workout attire with proper shoes on (do not come in with slides on). Locker rooms will not be accessible. (No backpacks, extra clothing, etc.)
- Bring their own water bottle. We intend on providing each student a water bottle to keep if they do not have one. It should be brought each day.
Other important safety guidelines:
- There will be a water cooler available for refills that is monitored by our Athletic Trainer but the water fountains will be turned off.
- Masks are encouraged in the weight room but are not required.
- Every athlete will be screened prior to participating in workouts daily.
- Each athlete must stay in their assigned group for the duration of Phase 1.
- As soon as the athlete gets home, they should shower and put their clothes immediately in the laundry hamper/washer.
- Social distancing should be adhered to at all times in the weight room. Lifting exercises that require spotting will only be spotted from the side.
- There are NO Visitors or parents allowed to watch conditioning.
- More detailed information pertaining to drop-off and pick-up/group assignments will be sent out to parents and athletes before June 8th.
- If a student or coach is screened out then they cannot return until they have a clearance note from a physician.
IF YOU FEEL SICK, STAY HOME AND NOTIFY YOUR COACH AND ATHLETIC TRAINER Willy Perez (email@example.com).
If there are any questions or concerns please contact Athletic Director- Chris Hall Chris.L.Hall@gcpsk12.org